Great Thursday Morning!!!!
Growing up, my mom used to make some tasty rice crispy treats! Last week, she decided to make some healthier and vegan friendly rice crispy treats. They were amazing!!!
If you take the time to make these delicious treats, I promise you that you will not be disappointed.
Enjoy and live life to the fullest!!
Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats
15 minutes to prepare:
* 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown rice syrup*
* 1/2 cup (125 mL) Maple-Cinnamon Superseed Almond Butter**
* 1 tablespoon non-dairy butter (such as Earth Balance)
* 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
* 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 3 1/2 cups (115 g) gluten-free rice crisp cereal
For the chocolate topping:
* 1/3 cup (65 g) non-dairy chocolate chips
* 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
* Unsweetened shredded coconut, for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare an 8 inch by 8 inch square pan, by lining it with 2 pieces of parchment paper, one going each way.
2. In a large pot over low-medium heat, add the brown rice syrup, almond butter, butter, maple syrup, and salt. Stir well until super smooth and heated through. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
3. Stir in the rice crisp cereal until thoroughly combined.
4. Scoop into pan and spread out evenly. Press down with lightly wet fingers or roll flat with pastry roller. Place in freezer to set for 5 minutes while you make the chocolate topping.
5. In a small pot or double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil over low heat. Once 2/3 of the chips are melted, remove from heat and stir until smooth.
6. Remove the pan from freezer and drizzle or spread with melted chocolate mixture. Sprinkle with coconut and place in the freezer until firm, about 10 minutes.
7. Slice into squares. Bars will hold their shape quite well at room temperature, but you can store in the fridge to ensure the chocolate stays solid. Leftovers can be wrapped and stored in the fridge for 5 to 7 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
* Brown rice syrup is used in this recipe because it is a great binder. I don't recommend using another liquid sweetener.
* Feel free to swap the almond butter for store-bought natural peanut butter or almond butter, if desired.
* Make it soy-free: Use soy-free vegan chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life brand. Also use soy-free vegan butter, such as Earth Balance soy-free buttery spread.